I am sorry if you have ever had a bad experience at Dollar General. Please, keep in mind that I am an hourly employee, working as hard as I can every day to pay the bills. I am not with corporate, and there are some things that DG does that I do not agree with, but I know the reasons why they do what they do and feel the need to clear up a few of the most common and easily resolved issues that keep popping up over and over again. Please, bare with me.
1. ID FOR ALCOHOL/TOBACCO: Penalties for failing to ID before an alcohol/tobacco purchase vary from state to state, but range from a $5,000 fine to jail time for any individual caught selling to anyone under age. As a result and precaution, Dollar General has adopted a zero tolerance policy. If Loss Prevention audits our security footage and sees an employee selling without checking ID, that employee is terminated without warning or write-up. I have personally had to fill in at stores that lost their entire staff all at once for failure to ID.
2. PAPER COUPONS: We can only accept coupons that have a barcode we can scan or a promo code we can enter. The coupons that come pre-attached to products are shipped in very limited quantities and not in our control. If you cannot find an item with a coupon attached to it, despite an ad saying our store should have them, there is nothing we can do about it.
3. DIGITAL COUPONS: In order for the digital coupons to work, you must activate the coupons individually online before going to the store. You must enter your phone number into the debit machine before the cashier hits the total button. If they have already hit the total button, they must hit the clear button on the register a few times, let you enter your number, then hit the total button. Because we never received any real training regarding digital coupons, inexperienced cashiers won't know how to handle them. And pulling up the coupons on your phone doesn't do any good. We have to be able to scan a barcode or enter a promo code. The digital coupons have neither. They only work through your phone number in the debit machine.
4. RETURNS & EXCHANGES: You have to have your receipt in order to return something. We can exchange something for other merchandise and/or store credit without a receipt, but you cannot get cash back without the receipt.
5. ITEMS LEFT AT THE STORE: We are more than happy to give you anything you accidentally left at the store after you paid for it. If you have your receipt, it is extremely easy to see exactly what you left and when you left it. All we have to do is check the cameras and verify you left it. If you don't have the receipt, but you remember when you were there, we can still check the cameras and verify. If you call us and let us know you for got your toothpaste or whatever, we can put your name on it and hold it for you to pick up later. If we cannot verify that you left anything and none of the employees remembers it, we cannot replace your items.
Now, if you have any complaints that you want corporate to take seriously, contact them directly and very polite to the CSR's. Screaming and cursing at the CSR's tends to make them put your complaints on the low priority list. People who are polite are taken far more seriously. Posting your complaints on websites like this one only tell other consumers about your experience. Dollar General does NOT check these sites. If you really want to change a problem, take the time to contact corporate. Sites like this never hit their radar. Posting comments, questions, letters, etc on these sites in an attempt to contact Dollar General is a waste of time. The only time you will get a response is when a curious employee gets the idea in their head to see what we are doing wrong so we know what to work on.
I hope this helps all of you. Please, I mean no disrespect to any of you, I am only try to help make your future experiences more positive.
Review about: Dollar General Corporation Coupon.