I used to shop at one of your locations in Arizona from time to time. But after my last visit to your store, I will never be back.

When I was shopping around in one of the aisles, a Latina employee approached me and told me to go leave my backpack at the front counter. Rather than comply with her request, I left the store empty-handed and won't ever go back.

If I looked like a criminal, I could maybe understand the profiling. But I don't look like a criminal. I am a nicely-dressed white man and have never shoplifted in my life. I refuse to be treated like a criminal by someone who probably isn't even in this country legally.

There's no way in *** I was going to leave my backpack at the front counter waiting to get stolen. The only reason they'd ask me to *** my backpack is because they have a high shoplifting rate. If the theft is so out of control at this location, how can I trust that my backpack won't get stolen?

Product or Service Mentioned: Dollar General Corporation Customer Care.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Apr 12, 2016.

Comments

As far as shoplifting goes, employees of Dollar General, in an, Il. ,have told me ,most of the security cameras , either don't work, or are dummy cameras.

One particular employee, who no longer works there, said, that, Corporate, frowns, on, reporting shoplifting, to police, cause it doesn't look good for business. So, I guess it's alright to let you're employees and managers sit outside, or leave customers standing at registers, to chit chat,with other employees.

Ralphus

You would then be surprised how many "nicely dressed white men" I have busted for shoplifting. Leave it in your car.

to Ralphus #1152187

Leaving my backpack in my car is not an option. I don't have a car.

I ride public transportation. That's the whole reason I carry a backpack in the first place. When you ride public transportation, it's not like you can put your groceries in the trunk of your car. You need a backpack to carry your groceries home.

But your response shows exactly the type of ignorance a lot of retail employees have.

You people with cars don't understand that us transit riders NEED a backpack to carry our stuff around. When a store bans backpacks, you effectively ban public transportation riders.

Next time a store asks me to keep my backpack at the front counter, I'm going ask them who I should sue when my backpack gets stolen.

Not_the_0P
to Anonymous Benicia, California, United States #1165975

Stop changing your store, they are not banning backpacks, just asking you to leave them in the front. That is what your original story said.

to Not_the_0P #1170669

Yes, they asked me to leave it up front. But if they're going to make us keep our backpacks up front, they might as well ban backpacks outright.

As I've said many times on here, we run the risk of our backpack getting stolen if we leave it up front.

A Wal Mart I go to has lockers for the customers to keep their backpacks (which is a very good idea).

I'm more than happy to surrender my backpack upon entering a store IF the store provides a secure location for me to store my backpack. But if a store expects me to leave my backpack sitting on a counter where anyone could snatch it, they won't be getting ANY business from me.