Ease of Use
Layout of Store

I was shopping in Dollar General lastnight and figured since i was in there i would look through the quarter Christmas clearance items to see if there were any of the air freshener Christmas scents.Unfortunately they were all gone or i should say by looking at the shelf on the sales floor, they were all gone.

I then proceeded to get what i initially came in for. As i was standing by the bandaids, I noticed that there were quarter Christmas items in their store room. I saw candy, decorations, and much to my surprise there was the quarter Christmas air fresheners. I went to the register and told the cashier behind the counter about the quarter Christmas items in their store room and asked if i could purchase them.

Her and i walked back to the store room together and i pointed out the items i wanted to purchase. Her body language made it very clear she was afraid to let me have them. She commented that she was afraid to let me buy them because they might be "on hold" for someone. I explained to her that I used to be an assistant manager for Dollar General and that by no means were we ever allowed to hold merchandise for anybody.

She told me that she didn't know that because they held merchandise back all the time to purchase. At that moment, the key holder for the evening popped her head out of the office. The cashier asked her who the items belong to. The key holder said that they were on hold for one of their employees.

I responded by saying, if it's not in a bag with a receipt on it then it's not been purchased and there was no reason why I should not be allowed to have them to purchase. I was refused the sale. Now I know that when things go on markdown at this Dollar General, the employees are clearly getting everything they want first and leaving us, the customers, the items they don't want. When I worked for Dollar General, I was trained that if there were items I wanted, I could absolutely purchase them but I was never to put something in the store room to purchase at a later time.

I was told that the customers have the first option of buying the stuff but that if it were still there I could certainly buy it on my break, my lunch, or when I was off work but never while I was on the clock. I am beyond disappointed with this store! How do you refused your customer a sale of an item that has not been purchased by somebody else yet? I have requested true my complaint via customer service for the district manager to call me and I really hope that that happens!

I shop in this store sometimes twice a day.How are you not loyal to your customers?

Review about: Dollar General Corporation Customer Care.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

If it is not on the sales floor it is technically not for sale. I bet you think that you can take things out of other peoples carts because "they didn't pay for it yet", right? lol

Oh boo hoo, we don't have an employee discount so that's one way to make up for it. (barely)

You are absolutely correct. They should not have been holding that merchandise for anyone. Hopefully, their DM will rectify this behavior.

to Anonymous #1428818

Hi there!As far as I know, nothing was ever done.

The DM called me but unfortunately I missed her call. I called her back within 15 minutes or so after listening to her voicemail but i intern got her voicemail so i left her a message stressing how i indeed did want to speak with her. She never called me back.

In her voicemail she stated that it was unacceptable, employees holding items for future purchase, and that she would be speaking with the manager about it. She also stated that she wanted to speak with me yet never again called me.

I'm going to assume I was not much of importance to them as I never received another call to get the facts from me personally or to even let me know how the situation was handled.

I understand that I'm one out of millions whom shop at DG but I am one of their customers.The situation was handled poorly!

So you don’t work there and you went into their storeroom? Pretty sure that’s not allowed.

to Anonymous #1428815

Hi there!Just to clarify things, I did NOT just go into the storeroom!

The door to this DG's storeroom is never closed, even though per DG policy it is suppose to be. I was shopping in the bandaid section which happens to be by their storeroom. This is how I saw the items in the storeroom.

I did however enter the storeroom with the cashier after being asked to step in.

I stopped at the storeroom door and commented to the cashier that I didn't want to just come in. She told me it was fine and to come on in.

I remained right inside the door.

I would never just take it upon myself to go "shopping" in any stores storeroom!Hope that clarifies things.