Byrdstown, Tennessee

I am a regular customer of the dollar general store in Byrdstown, Tn. Every time I go in there the manager looks nasty and doesn't seem to care how she approaches people.

I was standing in line waiting to pay for my merchandise, the manager yelled at one of employees and told him that "you need to walk through the store because you know who just walked in and needs to be watched." I understand that you have to watch people, but I feel this should have been done in a private matter. I don't think she is mgmt material. It also seems that you are always standing in a huge line to pay for items with only one register open. Usually the manager or other people are sitting back in the office or standing and chatting with other employees.

I have heard many customers gripe about this. Dollar General has a great business, but it comes from management.

I feel you need to look into this problem because if you don't I am affraid people will go else where to purchase their items.

Product or Service Mentioned: Dollar General Corporation Manager.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 01, 2013.

Comments

I'm an assistant manager at Dollar General. The sad truth about Dollar General is the same that plagues many retailers.

They are getting what they pay for. Cashiers make minimum wage, managers don't make a great deal more. DG is currently expanding and with its very high turnover has gotten to the point where they will give nearly anyone who passes a background check a management position. There are usually two or three employees in the store at one time including management.

Those employees are expected to take care of customers, stock the shelves, and do anything else that needs to be done. It doesn't matter to the higher ups that we have too much to do in a short amount of time and they will not hesitate to get rid of even good employees if they do not deliver.

The turnover is extremely high. I personally and my employees focus on the customers first and getting other stuff done later but not all stores are this way.