5481 Muddy Creek Rd, Churchton, MD 20733, USA
2.5
Ease of Use
Layout of Store

The Churchton, MD, store has a serious customer service problem in that store's manager. I have been a frequent shopper there since it opened, and I have observed this bespectacled, dyed-blond woman on numerous occasions, usually stocking shelves, and turning a blind eye to customers, especially those in line to check out.

On one occasion, she was writing and posting sticky notes on the cash registers as one clerk attempted to handle 8-10 customers in a cluster of a line, trying to pay for their goods. The manager made no attempt to get another clerk to the front, or to wait on customers herself. This is emblematic of her dour demeanor and avoidance of eye contact while tending to other tasks, even though her store frequently is out of stock of expected items, and the aisles are often blocked with crates and boxes of merchandise not yet shelved. Today, however, she did speak.

I heard from one aisle over as she approached my 16- and 17-year-old sons and asked what they were doing, as they were retrieving breakfast bars and other school lunch items I asked them to select. My one son, who is on the Autism spectrum, apparently lifted his foot to the bottom of the display rack (and although I could not see, I expect that he failed to make eye contact when he was addressed.) The manager then told them that if they were unaccompanied, she would escort them out of the store, at which time I came around and made my presence known. This woman immediately berated me for not keeping my "children" (one stands 6' 3") under control. She obviously completely failed to notice that my one son is challenged, but I assured her that the guys were not creating a problem, and then addressed her with my observations from past visits, and her unacceptable behavior, including this threat to remove my sons from the store.

I kept a very level voice and temper, but I did refer to her attitude as "wise-***", at which point she ordered ME out of the store for "cursing" in "HER" store! I was flabbergasted that she could not have a discussion about my problems there as a customer, but she was red-faced and became threatening, pulling out her cell phone and telling me she was calling her supervisor, so I just left, leaving what would have been about $50 in purchases in a cart. Ironically, I went across the street with my shopping list to our neighborhood grocery, and found every one of my items at a LOWER price than at Dollar General. Needless to say, that store has lost a family of customers, and I will not be shy about telling of my experience around the neighborhood.

This woman is completely temperamentally unfit for her position, and should be immediately terminated if the company wants to save their customer base in this community.

By the way, in all modesty, I am a highly educated and licensed professional with my own businesses, so please do not assume that I am some loud-mouthed, low-class antagonist that enjoys telling people off. Much to the contrary: it takes something this serious for me to take time to officially complain!

Product or Service Mentioned: Dollar General Corporation Manager.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Location.