Lillian, Alabama
4.5K views

Iam well above 30 years of age to buy cigarettes or alchol in the state of alabama but your store in Lillian Al still wants to see my ID I will go to the other stores in Fl or here in Lillian to do my business.Just glad they opened cashsavers right over the bridge in Pensacola. I will no longer shop this store or any of your other stores anywhere. Please tell your employyes to use their common sense and embaress people who are well above the legal age to buy things from your employees that are always a revoling door at this store!!!!

Comments

It is company policy, don't blame the cashier. It's not that difficult to show your ID

To everyone who says that the employees are stupid, ignorant, what have you, don’t have any control over their stores policy.I work for a gas station in NY, and I can tell you this:an ID is required for any alcohol, tobacco, and e cig purchase.

For my specific company, There is no way to hand type for my company, the ID must be scanned. There is no way to bypass this.NY state law states anyone who looks under a certain age (I believe 40s) is required to show an ID. Past that, it is the stores discretion. But it MUST BE a valid state issued ID.

An expired ID is not a legal form of identification. If you are pulled over with an expired license, you are ticketed and not permitted to continue driving. It is the same for purchasing alcohol and tobacco products. Not valid, no dice.Now I have had DG employees who recognize me or realize that I am over 21, solely ask for my date of birth, they do not require it.Employees CAN ave terminated by their company for failure to follow the company policy.

I don’t think anyone is going to risk going to jail for not carding (AGAIN IN SOME STATES LEGALLY YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SHOW A VALID STATE ISSED PHOTO IDENTIFICATION) , or (in the off chance that someone uses another/false ID) not protect themselves for liability reasons.These are a combination of your state laws and the company policy. If it bothers you so much, go to the mom and pop shops that have never been busted and had to pay out 10k for a fine to the store, a separate 10k for a fine to the employee, loss of employment, and jail time. Big name company’s have paid those fines, have fired employees for their abuses of the policies and laws, and have had employees serve jail time.

(Whether the person is of age or not)A couple bag eggs in the past ruined your ability to not show photo ID when making purchases.Don’t take that *** out on current employees that have nothing to do with current policies.I always say “I just work here, I don’t make the policies”

Sadly now even Walmart cards all people now they used to only card under 40

First of all, like every other store on the planet, that sells cigs, or Alcohol if you look under 40 you will get carded, Carding a 85 year old women, is an invasion of her privacy.This policy, is costing DG customers, and everyone who supports the card everyone policy, or valid id, it doesn't matter if it's expired or not, it still has all the criteria needed, a State issued photo form of Identification, it shows the D.O.B.

they are not renting a car, or buying insurance for God's sake.........This policy can only have been brought into existence due to a failure to use common sense in the first place, I mean lets get real, the same cashier, who has carded you before, or knows you, is just plain stupid

*** on dollar General an their "carding everyone" to buy certain items.

Why do Duncanville dg card 68 yr old for bic lighters.How stupid.

Clerk sourly said co policy.What a twerp

to Disgusted #1442200

You're 68 years old but on a website complaining, how childish can you be...How about you stop complaining and just bring an ID... Granny

to Disgusted #1449781

They do it to everyone buying certain items, to track people locations/ items they are buying It's my right to buy else wherrrrrr

#1432066

I guess it's ok to drive with an expired license since it's was valid 5 days ago let's tell a state trooper how you should not get a fine or ticket.The employees are doing their job.

Most states require an in date identification card it's the state's law.

For following the state's laws the employees always catch *** for the consumers mistake.The cashier didn't make your id expire it is no longer valid if you want to buy state regulated items then prove it

quintessentialcomments

It is not the employees that lack "common sense" or "ignorance".Rather it is people who complain about this that are ignorant and lack common sense...

It is Dollar General's policy to card EVERY customer, EVERY time. Regardless of age or how many times you've been carded. And it MUST be a valid NON EXPIRED ID...

Failure to do so, even on the first offense, can and WILL result in termination of employment.Why should those employees risk losing their job for a pack of cigarettes?

to quintessentialcomments #1451633

In the State of Alabama, a license is good for 2 years beyond the expiration date.As a means of identification, that card identifies me for life.

The card may have expired but I didn't expire, and neither did my birthdate. Dollar General is great at convincing their clerks they can be arrested or that's it's the law.

Next time, ask them to show you the law that makes it an offense worthy of arrest if you don't card someone over 40.Post it here, I'd be interested to know.As an aside, don't be so willing to take what people tell you at face value.

to Eileen Burke #1462584

They don't tell us we will be arrested.(Unless tobacco is sold to an underage person) We will lose our jobs and with it income.

99% of the customers will have their ID ready when they get to the register with no complaints.:) Folks, we are just trying to make an honest living and appreciate your understanding.

I’m well over the age of 40 and was denied because my license expired 5 days ago... pissed off in Louisiana!

I am 65 years old with great grand children.I have shopped daily at Dollar general at DG for many, many years.

They have recorded my ID many, many, many times. My neighbor who works there truly humiliated me recently by yelling, "you forgot your ID, you get no beer herehere you walk right back home and get it". Customers looked at me like I was doing something illegal.

I was so embarrassed.There has to be a better way to ensure young people under 21 are not buying tobacco or beer other then embarrassing senior citizens.

to Anonymous #1428410

Why would you shop there - most of the employees I've encountered at a Dollar General are ignorant. No one deserves to be treated that way - go somewhere else their prices aren't all that great anyhow.

Lmao. Salty folks don’t like being ID’d. Get over it and be an adult and carry an ID with you.

to Anonymous #1451634

Papers Please...{{Redacted}}.

It is company policy for workers to ID. If they don't ID then they most likely will get terminated. Most workers would like to keep their job so they will ID you, no matter if you appear to be over the legal age.

required by law to check id 110 or 18 you always need id for cigs and beer