2.3
Layout of Store

I visited your store #03155 in Fletcher NC this afternoon and had the worst experience of my life. While walking through your store with my cart there were many boxes in the isles, un-stocked shelves and even body wash with a 1/4 of it missing in approximately 4 bottles (This is facing the front door as customers walk in).

I continued to shop and fill my cart when I became thirsty. Like any other store in this area I picked up a soda and took a sip while walking. When I was at the last aisle my I opened the soda again and my lid dropped on the floor. I looked down to retrieve it but could not find it.

Throughout the store I noticed workers walking in the general area I was in but figured they must be putting up merchandise. I proceeded to the checkout line where I saw multiple employees. I put all my things on the counter and then paid for my order **including the soda** as I told the cashier I had dropped the lid. Then a woman comes over and says "for future reference there are cameras all around the store and I got beeped telling me you opened a soda.

Next time just bring it up to pay for it first before you open it." I accepted that but she continued to tell me about loss prevention and her getting beeped as I explained my lid dropped and the cart did not have a cup holder. She said where did you drop it I can go get it for you. I pointed to the aisle and told her I did not want the lid since it had fell on the ground. She then asked again which I declined.

She proceeded to say I'll get you a new soda and took my soda out of my hand and brought a new one back.I looked back at the 5-67 people in line behind me and was mortified that I was being accused of being a shoplifter. I said to the cashier "this is the oddest experience I have ever had and I dont know what to think of it." As I picked up my stuff and left the store. I called the store to ask the persons name I spoke with and it was the Manager Rhonda. I explained that I have never had an experience like that in all my life.

That it was embarrassing and I felt it was uncalled for since I had already paid for everything I picked up from the store before she said a word to me I was sliding my card through. She began to get upset talk over me about $80,000 worth of loss per month. She even had the audacity to say "the problem here is that you WERE shoplifting the moment you opened the soda" justifying her nastiness. Although she said it with a sweet southern tone it still stung because I was being paraded out in front of everyone as a shoplifter.

I will never shop in that store again! I am a manager in profession as well and have worked in many venues but as I explained in a normal tone she became defensive. I asked for her boss four times before she actually heard me over her own talking. She then told me her name, when I asked for the number she left the phone and came back with a toll free number as if she was being helpful.

I asked is the the customer care dept she said yes and thanked me for my call. I call the number and it is the survey number.

Not a number I can reach an actual person. I call another store and a very nice gentleman helped me all the while apologizing for this woman's behavior and told me to visit his store where I would be treated with respect and "as family." Those kind words restored my faith today as I found and called customer care to log a complaint.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. RachelAmber is quite happy with prices and cashier smiled and talked with customers and stated that there is a room for improvement of store had boxes throughout aisles and unstocked shelves. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of dollar general corporation customer care. Dollar General Corporation needs to offer any options to resolve the issue according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned dollar general corporation customer care in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Dollar General Corporation.

Comments

unfairhiringprastices
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States #1208047

Look unless you paid for the soda you have no right drinking it. Waiting a few minutes is not going to kill you.

It is probably stated on the back of the gift card it cannot be exchanged for cash, and giving you a $25 gift card when you did wrong is unacceptable.

Yeah I agree with something triplet says, you should have thanked her for the fresh soda you got, and the gift card that corporate gave you. You already got more than you deserve considering you were in the wrong, you are just getting greedy now.

First Born Triplet
Ontario, Canada #1207924

While I disagree with her about the shoplifting part, and I agree she went too far, you had no right taking a sip without paying for it. Now if you were diabetic and needed sugar that would be a different story.

I ask did you even thank her when she gave you the new soda? As for the lid, why would you tell her that you dropped it if you did not want it. Many people take soda, or chocolate and take one sip or one *** and leave it. While you did end up paying for it, you had no right to take a sip without paying for it.

Now if you were diabetic and needed a quick sugar rush that would be different, but you took it because you were thirsty and I doubt you would die from thirst in five minutes. But her reaction was overboard so both of you messed up.

to First Born Triplet Arden, North Carolina, United States #1207934

You are right, it was not shoplifting, and even if I took a sip from them, and put it back on the shelf it is not shoplifting. You don't believe me look up findlaw.

They gave me a $25 gift card, and refused to allow me to exchange it for cash and threatened to call the police on me if I did not leave the store. I should not have to thank them since I am the customer.

The $25 was not enough and they owe me much more. Why should I thank them when they owe me much more?

drjonah
Whitewater, Wisconsin, United States #1196209

Regardless, when you opened the soda and took a sip but did not pay for it, that's called grazing which is a form of shoplifting. You should have paid for the soda and then continued to shop.

to Anonymous Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #1207921

Your missing one big detail. It was brought to my attention after I had paid for the item.

Secondly if you look it up in findlaw it says it is not shoplifting. To do so it requires two elements 1. Taking possession of an item being offered for sale AND 2. The intent to permanently deprive the items rightful owner (the grocery store, in this case) without paying for it.

In other words you need to have commuted the act of taking the item AND have the intention of evading the checkout in order to be found guilty of shoplifting.

Lastly, I received a call from the company apologizing about the situation. Stating that that rule applies to employees not to customers. That this will be a learning curve for employees.

I was even offered a gift card for my troubles.

But thanks for your opinion. Have a great day!

First Born Triplet
to Anonymous Ontario, Canada #1207925

At least the company has manners. Do you?

Let me ask when you were given another soda, did you even say thank you? I do agree with you that she went overboard, but unless it was an diabetic emergency you cannot take soda without paying for it. Guess your parents never taught you to say this, or to say thank you.

You certainly did not deserve a gift card for being the cause of the troubles. I bet you did not say thank you for that as well.

to First Born Triplet Arden, North Carolina, United States #1207933

I don't see why I need to thank them. They owed me the gift card for the embarrassment which they caused me.

I cannot believe they are allowing idiots to post on this site. I am the customer, it is not my job to thank them for doing their job which is pleasing the customer. Besides the gift card they gave me was for a measly $25. I should have had much more for the embarrassment.

Why should I thank her for giving me another bottle of soda when she was rude to me and kept on and on about loss prevention, and telling me how much the store has lost. Not that it was any of your business but I have not thanked her for giving me the bottle of soda. She had no right to take the first one, since their floors are dirty and for the embarrassment she should have given me the soda for free and let me keep the same one. I should not have to thank them because they owed me the extra soda.

I did not thank then for giving me the gift card, nor the other soda. I went back to the store to try and exchange the gift card for cash and they would not let me. Nobody told me that I could not exchange the gift card for cash and I refused to leave the store until they did. This was when they threatened to call police on me and told me I was no longer welcome in their store.

They said when I was falsely accused of theft I used profanity. I admit I did the second time when they refused to exchange the gift card for cash,(which was only $25, not enough). I swore then but not the first time when they made a big deal of me opening the bottle of soda. I admit that one time I was thirsty and did not have the money to pay for the soda, so I opened it up and too a sip and put it back.

That was only one time though.

Even then I left it in the store so it is not shoplifting. Look up findlaw and you will see that this is not shoplifting.